Sunday, May 3, 2009

I think I figured out the scam

OK. I think I figured this out. The Mets put in these wide open concourses, with views of the field in most places (when you're not behind a condiment stand or staircase (the ones to the seats above that obstruct on two levels), or what Dave Howard likes to call, an "obstruction"). But how is it better than Shea if people are in their seats watching the game? The Mets added so many (too many) clubs and restaurant-type places, things we basically didn't have at Shea (at least in volume and design). Even ones for the paying customers in the Upper Deck (or "Promenade" as they call it). But how is it better than Shea if people are in their seats watching the game?

Well, here's the scam. The Mets built the obstructed views so that they want you to walk around the concourses, spend money on concessions/souvenirs, and enter the clubs and buy an expensive lunch or dinner and watch the game in their comforts. It wasn't by accident.

One other thought related to scams. The Mets must not be getting much of the money generated by fees for buying Mets tickets online. I bought a single $20 ticket for a game that cost me $31 (more if I wanted to print at home). If they were getting a large cut of that, they'd be pushing people towards individual tickets instead of full and partial season ticket plans.